Changes to Spell Foci
Spell Foci have been changed and augmented greatly on Arelith, and often alter or expand the potential of spellcasting classes. Changes to Spell Foci are listed under Feat Changes.
Spell Components System
Spell components are used in casting Arcane Spells of Levels 7-9 and the Console Commands gained through Epic Spell Focuses in magic schools. One charge of a component pouch is consumed when casting a Level 7 Spell, two for a Level 8 Spell, three for a Level 9 Spell, and five for the Console Commands. If a character lacks sufficient components, then the spell will fail, but it won't consume any charges. However, if the spell component pouch reaches 0 charges, like any other item, it will be destroyed.
Note that the spell level doesn't equate the slot it occupies. For example an extended Mass Haste (level 7 slot, level 6 spell) would not consume charges of the spell components pouch.
Changes to Summoning Spells
Changes to Groups of spells
- Death Armor, Elemental Shield and Acid Sheath do not stack; the last spell cast overrides the others.
- The spells Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Weapon, Holy Sword, Flame Weapon, Darkfire, and Keen weapon can not be stacked; the last spell cast overrides the other. Furthermore, these spells will not work on any weapon which has any magical properties at all (including weapons other than Bronze which have been created by crafting). Note that Bless Weapon, Blackstaff and Blade Thirst may all be stacked with one another and any one of the above spells, and will work on any enchanted and/or crafted weapon, provided they fit the corresponding type (slashing, staff).
- Darkfire and Flame weapon are capped so that the Caster Level cannot count as anything higher than 10.
- Darkfire and Flame Weapon last turns/level. Greater Magic Weapon last hours/3 levels.
- All Bigby spells have a Reflex Save, with the exception of Bigby's Clenched Fist, since it already has a Fortitude Save. Additionally, all Bigby spells (except Interposing Hand) will attack both mind and mobility. Protection against one effect will not deny the other, but the spells will only affect mobility is the user is mind effect-immune. The movement-restraining effect can be removed with Remove Paralysis, Restoration, Greater Restoration and Freedom of Movement.
- All of the Planar Binding spells last 1 turn/caster level, except Lesser Planar Binding, which remains 1 hour/level.
- Invisibility, Improved Invisibility and Invisibility Sphere last rounds/level. The Concealment element of Improved Invisibility remains unchanged.
- Dismissal and Banishment block all summoning spells in the area where they were cast, for 30 and 60 seconds, respectively. Note that this excludes animated creatures.
- All spells casted from the Shadow Conjuration line will be considered illusion and use illusion focus for calculating the DC. Summon Shadow lasts rounds/levels, more details here.
Persistent area spells
All persistent area spells, such as Cloud of Bewilderment and Stinking Cloud, do not stack with themselves. When the same spell is casted it will be replaced and refreshed. However:
- Different area spells may be stacked.
- Same spell by different caster stacks.
- The same spell may be casted away from 50% of the center of the AoE radius, allowing a section where they can overlap, and hit twice.
- Blade Barrier and Wall of Fire are not affected by these changes.
Fright, Fear and Fear Auras
Fear has branched in two different effects in Arelith. Some spells and abilities will apply the old vanilla effect (like Barbarian's terrifying rage or the Fear spell), while others will incur some penalties on a failed save, here named Fright.
Standard Fright Aura:
- -10 AB
- -10 Saving Throws
- -10 Skills
- -10 AC
- 50% Spell Failure
Lesser Fright Aura:
- -1 AB per level difference
- -1 Saving Throws per level difference
- -1 Skill per level difference
- -1 AC per level difference
- 5% Spell Failure per level difference
Usually coming from summons, the lesser auras act according to a level difference. The greater the difference, the greater the effect.
Lesser Fright Aura penalties never exceed -10/50% (+10 levels and will never be below -2/10%).
Fright cannot be self-removed by the same frightened character. Attempting to self-recover using spells like Remove Fear will not dispel the effect, but will leave the lingering increased save bonus against fear effects. Third-party characters using the spells will function as normal.
Epic Spell: Dragon Knight: Duration reduced to 2 Round / Level.
Mummy Dust: Having this feat will grant access to the strongest variants of undead as per the undead summoning changes.
Hellball: Damage type changed to Divine, Magical, Negative and Positive. Has no saving throw. Will not damage the environment (placeables, etc). Casters without Epic Evocation Focus will take 30d6 as backlash damage when casting.
Greater Ruin: Damage increased to 45d6 + 10 damage. Has no saving throw. Casters without Epic Evocation Focus will take 30d6 as backlash damage when casting.
Changes to Individual Spells
Acid Fog: Has no spell resistance check. Applies a 75% movement speed penalty with no save and -2 to AB and damage rolls for all creatures within the area of effect.
Awaken: Awaken grants +1 deflection AC / 3 levels in addition to the standard effects.
Ball Lightning: Behaves exactly as Firebrand.
Black Blade of Disaster: Slightly rebalanced and empowered. Has permanent haste.
Blackstaff: Works on Magic Staves and Dire Maces in addition to Quarterstaves.
Blade Thirst: Duration increased to 1 Turn / Level. Enhancement Bonus has been changed to 2 + 1 / 5 levels beyond the 11th (i.e. +2 at level 11, +3 at level 16, +4 at level 21, +5 at level 26). Additionally, the enchanted weapon gains an equivalent amount of Vampiric Regeneration. Can be applied to magic/enchanted weapons.
Bless: Lasts rounds/level. For Healers it lasts turns/level.
Bombardment: Added reflex save against Knockdown (1 round). Does not bypass SR. Party-friendly.
Burning Hands Damage increased to d6. No longer harms allies.
Call Lightning: Damage dice are upgraded from d6s to d10s when the spell is cast outside during rain or thunder.
Clarity: Has 12 rounds of cooldown. The CD starts the moment you are affected by the spell, not when casting it.
Cloudkill: Has no spell resistance check. Deals 1d4+1 CON damage per round to all creatures in the area of effect (fortitude save for half)
Continual Flame: Lasts 24 hours.
Creeping Doom: Now correctly increases by 1d6 for every round there is a creature taking damage in the AoE.
Darkness: Is no longer considered a hostile spell. NPC companions will no longer attack the caster.
Daze: Works against any creature with hit dice less than or equal to the caster's class level.
Dominate Person: Duration changed to 2 TURNS + 1 TURN / 3 caster levels. Additionally effects orcs, monstrous humanoid, goblinoid, and reptilian humanoids.
Dirge: The effect does not disappear when one leaves the aura, but instead lasts rounds/level.
Earthquake: Damage increased to d6 bludgeoning, max die increased to 30d6 at caster level 30. Characters that fail the reflex save will be knocked down for 3 seconds.
Elemental Swarm:Summons four elementals at the same time, instead one of them in sequence, each of a different element. Cannot be altered with -stream.
Entangle (and Vine Mine: Entangle): Has no spell resistance check.
Find Traps: Does not disable traps, just reveals them.
Flesh to Stone: Duration changed to 1 Turn/2 Caster Levels.
Freedom of Movement: Can be removed with spell breaches.
Grease: Has no spell resistance check.
Greater Dispelling: Caster Level bonus cap has been increased, allowing a bonus of 20 before applying bonuses from Abjuration Spell Foci.
Greater Magic Fang: Continues to scale past level 14. (+6 6/+6 at 17, +7 7/+7 at 20...)
Greater Sanctuary: Lasts Rounds/4 levels and it has a cooldown timer of 240 seconds.
Greater Restoration: Has 240 seconds of cooldown timer before it can be casted again.
Harm: Deals 10 points of damage per caster level.
Heal: Heals 100 + 5*CL. Capped at 200 at level 20.
Healing Circle: Level cap removed. Also, when casted it creates a stationary zone below the caster that heals all creatures within the area of effect each round for a period of three rounds, for a total of up to 3 * (1d8 + Caster Level) additional healing to all creatures that remain within the area of effect.
Healing Sting: Damage increases by 1d6+1/2 CL. Caps at 10d6+10. Has no saving throw. If the target dies, the caster receives the excess of healing as temporary HP over the maximum by hour/2 CL.
Implosion: Removed the +3 bonus to the difficulty check.
Incendiary Cloud: Damage increased to 4d6 + 1d6 per 2 levels (reflex save for half damage), and creatures within the area of effect are blinded (no save)
Isaac's Greater Missile Storm: Cannot strike one target with more than ten missiles. This limits it to only producing ten missiles if only one viable target is present upon casting.
Knock: Cannot open Doors, only Containers.
Nature's Balance: On failed Save, applies Lesser Spell Breach.
Magic Circle Against Alignment: Grants +4 Deflection and +10 will against spells, against the chosen alignment.
Mass Heal: Heals 150 + 5*CL. Capped at 300 at level 30.
Meteor Swarm:Damage increased to d8, max die increased to 30d8 at caster level 30. Does not affect allies.
Mind Fog: All creatures in the area of effect take a 2d6 will save penalty (will save for half) and are dazed for 1 round (will save negates).
Monstrous Regeneration: Lasts for 1 turn / level. Does not stack with Regenerate and/or itself.
Mordenkainen's Disjunction: Caster Level bonus is capped at 20, before applying bonuses from Abjuration Spell Foci.
Mordenkainen's Sword: Duration increased to Turns/level.
Phantasmal Killer: Phantasmal Killer fears a target for 1 round / level on a failed will save. A target that fails their fortitude save still dies.
Protection from Alignment: Gives a +5 Saving Throw Bonus vs Mind Affecting Spells and Spell Like Abilities, rather than full immunity.
Regenerate: Lasts for 1 turn / level and heals 4 + 1 / 6 levels each round. Does not stack with Monstrous Regeneration and/or itself.
Shadow Conjuration: Mage Armor: Does not stack with normal mage armor or itself.
Shield: Protects against Isaac's Lesser Missile Storm if you have Spell Focus: Abjuration, and against both missile storms if you have Greater or Epic Spell Focus: Abjuration.
Sleep: Works against any creatures with hit dice less than or equal to the caster's class level, and affects (caster level + 1d4) hit dice worth of creatures. Empower Spell increases affected hit dice by 50%.
Stinking Cloud: Has no spell resistance check.
Time Stop: Only affects the area in which it is cast. Also has a cooldown timer 240 seconds (independent of resting).
True Seeing: Last rounds/level.
Vine Mine: Camouflage: Grants Hide in Plain Sight to all allies while they remain within the area of effect.
Wall of Fire: Damage increased to 2d6 + 1 per caster level, with no saving throw. Deals double damage to undead.
Web: Has no spell resistance check.
Weird: Weird fears targets for 1 round / level on a failed will save. Targets that fail their fortitude saves still die.
The changes to spells are organized by class in this article.
Bugs Affecting Spells
Please Note: These bugs are either inherent to NWN, or in some other way a long-standing & chronic problem. Incidental or minor bugs should not be mentioned here.
- Charm and Mass Charm makes the target hostile to you, thus defeating its own purpose but serving as a daze instead.
- Invisibility sphere, Magic Circle vs Alignment, Dirge etc (spells working in circle around caster and following him) are affected by lag. The effects can often be lost on transitioning, and can even fail to apply when standing still.
- Balagarn's Iron Horn is from Enchantment School, in spite of being listed as Transmutation. It can not be scribed or used by those with forbidden Enchantment School.
- Spontaneous casters (Sorcerers and Bards) who transition whilst shapechanged can continue to lose spells each time they transition.
- Hostile NPCs may keep chasing and attacking PCs even after entering invisibility, stealthing, or even both.
- True Strike reports as increasing +20 points of AB in the character sheet, but this information may be false since it counts toward the +20 bonus AB cap. The real attack value still appears in the combat log when performing an attack.